Saturday, April 4, 2020

Reflection on MEC1281 Effective Communications

In the beginning I felt that this course wouldn’t be able to give me a lot of benefits. I’d thought that this module would be similar to a module that I had previously taken back when I was still in polytechnic. But as the lesson progressed on, I began to have a change of heart. This module made me realised that presentations that are short and simple is actually the best way to bring a point across. Also, I was able to work on and improved on doing verbal presentations to others and also correct the mistakes that I didn’t knew how to correct previously. I was also able to learn how to pick out the important points in a long article/passage to make it into a short and precise summary.

Initially I going into the project phase I was excited to work with Syafiq and Mikaiel. However due to circumstances, I did the project phase with Jun Kai, Xuan Ju and Saif instead. As luck would have it, they were also doing something that was similar to what I was doing with my previous group. Working on “AI_Whirlpool” has been a fun and very interesting experience. Having given the opportunity to be able to pitch in ideas to help improve a product that has been proven beneficial to our environment gave me a sense of pride. Working on this project has made my presentation preparation skills better as I have learnt how to exclude out unnecessary length in my slides and that with just a word or a picture, I can paint out the bigger picture to others using my presentation skills alone. I was also satisfied that my presentation skills got even better and that I now have an even better understanding of how a good presenter.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, JD, for this concise reflection on some of your module experiences and all your hard work during the term. I appreciate your sharing about your project learning and the presentation skills you picked up. In class, you also asked good questions and showed a consistent willingness to express yourself with an open attitude toward learning. I'm happy the module exceeded your expectations.

    Best wishes as you continue your learning journey!

    Brad

    ReplyDelete